Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A Good Day

A pretty good day yesterday - I got a reasonable amount of poker in given I am still on leave from work (back Jan 15) and my son decided he wanted to spend half the day doing stuff with me and the other half playing Lego Star Wars II on the PS2 :)

Despite needing to grind out the remaining bonus at Full Tilt, Kevin over at 640SnGs.com inspired me to try one of the two table SnG's at Stars. My BR doesnt support the $20 ones that he's playing, so I jumped on a $5.50 that filled pretty fast (with the BR about $600 I should probably be playing the $10's but thats another story). I really ennjoyed it, and despite being short-stacked almost the entire tourney - I finished in a respectable third. Got down to the final three with 4k in chips and the other two had over 10k, with blinds 200/400 plus antes I figured I needed to play the button very aggressively, and either pick up some blinds if the other two didnt want to risk losing 40% of their stack to me, or alternatively if called try to have live cards and double up. Unfortunately the plan didnt come off, I jammed T9o and got called by the BB with KQ, and didnt improve.

After a break and some time with my son I came back after lunch and settled down to two table some 25nl 6-max at Full Tilt, and again I was quite pleased with my play. I've had some days in the last week where I think I've played sub-standard with the frustration of bobbing around the $600 BR mark, not seeming to make any headway. Yesterday though I played solidly, and after 45 min I was down about $15 - but happy I hadn't made any poor plays, I think I made a few second best hands and got away from them as cheaply as I could, and I had more than one drawing hand where the opps were giving me great odds to tag along for the ride but didnt hit. Finally though about an hour in I got two hands almost simultaneously on my different tables - one I hit a straight with Ts9s, and the other I made trip Kings with AKo. The latter one only got me about $8 or so, but the suited connector hand was awesome as I managed to get AJ and 78 all in with me on the turn with a J 8 2 7 board. River didnt help anyone improve and I turned a losing session into a profitable one of just short of a buyin. Some good lessons learned there, especially about staying patient playing good poker even if the results arent flowing your way initially.

2 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger UrBluffingMe said...

Nicely done on your money finish sir. I have found that as long as you keep getting there, you should experience a healthy ROI. Lately, I have been finishing way too many times either for minimum money or on the bubble. But I am sure that will pass.

Good Luck and glad to hear you are playing some poker and winning.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Buzz said...

Thanks - I'm keen to play more when I finsih clearing my FT bonus :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home