Sunday, July 15, 2007

Evaluating Sessions By Decisions, Not Results

One of the things I really want to work on is doing some solid evaluation of my sessions based on the decisions I took rather than the results I had. In the last few days I've had some good sessions (a few losers too), and its tempting to come away from the keyboard feeling pleased. Hey, the BR went up didn't it? But I know this is false thinking, and whats important is did I play well, not did I have a positive money session.

It's not as easy as it seems, inevitably there is emotion involved. I think I'll know I'm making progress as a player when I can finish up a buyin and be disappointed becuase I made bad decisions and got lucky, or down two buyins but walking away feeling really pleased because I got the money in good but the cards didnt fall.

Last Thursday's home game was a great example of this. I ended up down $42 - we are playing 25nl, but I lost two big pots with the money going in AQ lost to A4, and two pair lost to a rivered flush when I got my money in on the turn and my opp made a call very much against the odds. Intellectually, I was really happy I made the right plays, but emotionally I still felt the loss.

I have to work on strenghtening that first reaction and lessening the impact of the latter.

2 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Are you a cardrunners member buzz? I think it's worth checking out. Brian Townsend (sbrugby) spends a lot of time in some of his videos on things like session review, note taking, reading hands. It's a bit steep to start up, but I used one month's rakeback to get going and it's easily paid for itself many times over. Besides, it's American dollars, and those are barely worth the ink on the paper :D

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris

Yes I am ... been watching more vids of late. I havent seen the sbrugby ones yet, will get to them soon. USD is still worth more than our dollar ... but only just :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home